Tuesday, January 28, 2014

WARDROBE ARCHITECT WEEK 2: DEFINING A CORE STYLE

When you are wearing your favorite clothing, how do you feel (e.g. confident, sexy, poised, powerful, etc)?
My favourite clothes make me feel cool and practical, like I look awesome and am ready for anything. This is especially true with cold weather clothes, because I feel protected and prepared. Button-down shirts are one of my favourite items of clothing because of the range of different styles they can evoke and their practicality, simplicity and comfort.
When you’re wearing something that is not quite right, how do you feel? What are the feelings you want to avoid about the clothes you wear?
I hate feeling cute or frilly in any way, and so avoid anything with lots of overt florals, lace, pink or other related details like ruffles. I also dislike feeling restricted by my clothing, in terms of activities. I dislike feeling as though I'm trying to be sexy or hot because of how inauthentic it feels.  

Who do you consider to be your style icons? What is it about them that appeals to you?

Emma Stone and Kristen Stewart are probably the closest people to style icons of mine. I like Kristen's give-no-fucks grunge attitude and Emma's classic shapes and neutral colour palette. They also seem to wear clothes of quality (mostly I'm sure because their budget is a little more than most) and it shows. 
What are some words that describe styles that you like in theory, but are not quite you?
I love black and goth vibes but always feel like a poorly put-together teen goth when I wear a lot of black. This is mostly because I *was* a poorly put together teen goth. Retro styles are cool but often feel costume-y and upkeep-heavy, as well as verging into cute territory. 

Look over your answers from last week on history, philosophy, culture, community, activities, location, and body. List at least 15 words that you associate with your answers. Think about descriptive words, moods, and feelings you associate with these things:

I did this exercise on a piece of paper and noticed that all the words fit into three categories:

Simple                                  Rustic                            Cool
Classic                                 Indie                               Dark
Neutral                                 Grunge                           Edgy
Quality                                  Warm                             Unusual
Comfortable                        Autumn                          Modern
Versatile                               Russet                           Dusky
Look over the answers to all of the questions above. If you had to narrow your list to only 3-5 words to describe you, which words would you choose?
I think I would choose Classic, Neutral, Russet, Dark and Modern 

My 15-20 visual aids to this exercise are at http://www.pinterest.com/ellendando/wardrobe-architect-exercise/

No comments:

Post a Comment